Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Adventures Begin...

Welcome Gentlemen to my first and only blog. I figured this would be the best environment to discuss and plan our Aconcagua trip and subsequent climbs before and likely after our Chilean expedition. 

I wanted to recap some of the ideas that were shared via email over the past year or so regarding the trip...

  • We do not have a set date for the expedition, I am about to renew my passport in May, so maybe before this passport expires, so roughly the next 10 years.
  •  It was also suggested, and I agree, that there be annual hiking trips leading up to the Aconcagua expedition. These are not grand trips, but rather maybe a day or two (three) to Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, etc.
  • Lacey (my wife) is planning on doing a hotel or similar in Santiago (or close large city in Chile) during the expedition, so current (or future for some) wives can come along with our kids or no kids and have a restful, fun trip as well. 
  • It was also suggested that we do a lot of research into the climb and hire a well respected, reputable local guide(s) from Chile, rather than going with an American company and paying $5000 each. 
  • Keep in mind this is not a technical peak. In fact it has been recorded of people mountain biking within a couple hundred feet of the summit. With that said, we should not forget this peak is 22,834' tall and is the highest peak outside of the Himalaya in Asia.
This will be an awesome adventure and I look forward to joining you gentlemen!

Please feel free to follow and post even if you think you might not go, or even think "it's not possible." Right now, I am in a place that it is not possible, but I am still planning on going, so come along with us.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and comments below.

Be Blessed By Our Creator Who Breathed these majestic peaks into being.

Adventurously Expectant,
David, the mountain lover

3 comments:

  1. Any idea what kind of exposure the main route has? Turns out I'm not a huge fan of narrow, talus (scree?) strewn ridges. Otherwise, this does have a certain appeal! - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, having had several more than I would like experiences with wicked exposure, I am also not a fan of anything where there is a high likelihood of falling 1000s of feet. I am beginning to read about some of the routes and it looks like the Normal Route on the north face seems rather tame. Remember, southern hemisphere so the sunny side is the north side.

      Delete
  2. I'm currently working my way back down (again) from 260 lbs. and sporting some beautiful moobs.
    But I am totally still down for this!

    With the snowpack melting on our majestic Mt. Graham, I think I feel some Spring training coming on. What's the starting elevation like or does it vary pretty drastically based on different approaches?

    Sean

    ReplyDelete